Thursday, March 1, 2012

Audition Tales

In honor of audition season, I thought it only fit to share a few anecdotes from the past weeks.


My friend Kayla said something profound the other day. We were on the 5th hour of auditioning, and had probably hit 3 or 4 that day. She looked at me and said, "You know how sometimes you go to the movies and after all the previews you can't even remember what you originally went to see? That's how I feel about auditions. What are we auditioning for right now?"
------
I went in for my favorite casting director, walked to the piano, and set down my binder. When I went to turn the page and open the music I had prepared, I couldn't find it. WHY hadn't I kept my finger in the right place as I walked in the room?! As I shuffled through my music in a completely silent room, I could feel the judgment on the creative team's eyes. (she's so unorganized, what a loser, is this her first audition etc etc). The CD looked at me and said, "EM! What are you trying to find?" I told him, and he proceeded to walk onto the stage and help me look through my book. We found it together, and he then re-introduced me to the room. He's such a class act, but boy was I embarrassed!
------
I auditioned for PCLO, one of the top 5 Summer Seasons in the country. I was hoping to sing for my audition, but they announced that they would only see non-union girls for the dance call. Oh goody. Well, I found out it was the opening combo from A Chorus Line. I have learned that one a time or two, so I decided to just go for it. I walked in the room and BAAYORK LEE was there. She wasn't just watching. She was running the audition. I was in awe. They started with "5-6-7-8" and my heart skipped a beat. Before long, everyone in  the room was clapping to the beat,and dancing their hearts out. After we had all learned the combo (10 minutes), they lined is up in groups of two, facing away from the mirror and each pair performed e combo for the creative team. Right before it was my turn, Baayork walked up to me, touched my hand, and said, "You can do this! All you need to remember is to smile your beautiful smile." like a true theatre nerd I started crying. I danced the combo with tears in my eyes. It was the perfect reminder of how blessed I am to be pursuing my dream, and doing what I love.




Kayla and me on a four-audition day.
dance shoes, check! dance clothes, check!
audition dress, check!
rep book, check!

No comments:

Post a Comment