Saturday, June 4, 2011

Covenant House Benefit Concert

In February, I flew to Pittsburgh for an audition, and met the most wonderful man on the airplane! Neil Berg, a Broadway producer, happened to be seated next to me. Normally, I don't talk to my seat-mates on airplanes, but he seemed nice, and was asking me what I did. I explained to him that I'm auditioning, told him about equity, and the basics of being an actor in NYC. After a few minutes, I asked him what he did in the city. He told me that he was a Broadway producer. Wow - I felt silly. He was so kind, and told me right away that he liked me, and would love to help me out in any way that he could. He invited me to volunteer with his big annual benefit concert for the Covenant House.

Fast Forward to June 2, 2011 - Lincoln Center


"A Night of Broadway Stars" gala

I showed up around 3:00 to volunteer at the concert. I went in the stage door and was greeted by Capathia Jenkins (WOAH), who walked me to the stage, and announced that I was there. Neil proceeded to introduce me to the stars, and let them know I was there if they needed anything. I looked around and saw Natalie Torro, Danny Zolli, Rita Harvey, Luba Mason and others. I was on CLOUD 9. I sat and watched the technical run-through, and then Neil asked me to run a quick errand. After the errand, I headed into the pre-show reception and had dinner with all of the patrons who had paid $1000 for the same meal. I then sat backstage and watched the concert with one of Neil's assistants. All of these things were amazing alone, and made it a night I would never forget.

However, the most inspiring aspect of this entire night was learning about The Covenant House. I met kids, just a couple of years younger than me, who were homeless several months ago, and are now successful, all thanks to this amazing organization. I was so inspired by their passion for life, and their determination to overcome obstacles like I had never seen before. AND - THEY CAN SING! They sang a song at the end together, and there was not a dry eye in the house.  I'm planning on volunteering in the Covenant House nursery starting this fall, and I could not be more excited. It was so moving to see such talented and successful Broadway stars working together for such a wonderful cause. It's always great to be reminded of how many kind and giving people there are in the arts.

http://www.covenanthouse.org/news/view/formerly_homeless_youth_to_perform_with_broadway_stars_at_lincoln_center_ya


Neil Berg and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment