Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thunder and Snow

Last night, I decided to have dinner with Ashley Sigmon. She was in a hotel near Newark Airport, on a consulting project, and I hadn't seen her since October!!! So I headed to Newark from Manhattan! On the train, a woman heard me talking to Ashley on the phone and said, "Aww, how long is he in town for?" I said "Excuse me?" She replied, "You're going to spend the night in a hotel in Newark with your boy?" I said "Um no that's my good friend. She's a girl. We both like boys." Awkward, but Ash and I got a good laugh out of it.

After taking the crosstown bus, the C train to Penn Station, the NJ Transit to Newark, the AirTrain to the airport, and the Sheraton Shuttle, ASig and I were enjoying pizza, the Carolina game, and eachother's company. We were chatting and catching up, and at 11:30 decided it was time for me to go back to the city. The snow was getting pretty intense, so I though I should head back to Manhattan before the train tracks froze. I caught the 11:40 Sheraton shuttle, and away we drove to Newark airport. A 15 minute drive.

At 1:40 am we were still stuck in the snow. The blizzard was pretty crazy, and it was just the driver and myself. The driver backed down a ramp for a good half hour, and after 2am made it to the airport where 40 Sheraton guests were waiting to cram on the 20 passenger shuttle. "Sweet, see ya later," I sad to the driver, with whom I'd just spent 2 hours with. I thanked him, and could tell he was glad to have my inquisitive, perky self off the shuttle. I was then quickly informed that NJ Transit was not running. The blizzard was too bad. So I got back on the shuttle and rode with all 40 other people to the Sheraton. My phone had now been dead for about 2 hours. Yay Droid Incredible...not

We got stuck on the way back and the driver said, "Alright, you guys have two options. Sleep on the shuttle, or walk a mile to the hotel." All of the women stayed on the shuttle, and the majority of the men decided to walk. I walked with my new guy friends, and was the second one to make it back to the Sheraton. It was now after 3 am, I was soaking wet from the snow, and I'd walked a mile in the thunder, lightning, wind and snow. I knocked on Ashley's door, after being hit on by some drunk guidos, (They were clearly drunk because I was not in an attractive state after hiking in the blizzard), and she woke up and let me in. Luckily I had a leotard in my bag, so I put that on to sleep in, grabbed a toothbrush from the front desk, and went to sleep. I slept four hours, met Ashley's coworkers this morning, and then made it back to Manhattan. Thank Goodness!

the shuttle.
Things I'm thankful for today:
1. Hunter Boots and Welly Socks
2. Ashley Sigmon
3. The nice guys who were on the shuttle and became my friends
4. That I lived through last night
5. My down North Face coat

No comments:

Post a Comment