Sunday, January 30, 2011

"What's the most swankified place in town?"

According to "Wicked," that would be the Ozdust Ballroom. However, after this weekend I believe it to the be the University Club.


Chris came up to New York for the weekend, and we had the best time. In true Emily-style we fit about four days worth of activities into 36 hours, and it was awesome. We started off the weekend going to Harry's Cafe Steak downtown. After getting lost (per normal with me), we got there. We realized that getting lost was actually totally a good thing because on the way we got to see the filming of Blue Bloods. We saw a take, actually, with Tom Selleck smoking a cigarette in his trench coat. It was AWESOME. Dinner was even better. Chris got the monkfish, I had a filet, and we split the best salad of my life and a stuffed baked potato. I had the best Riesling ever, and Chris had a delicious Pinot Noir, even though we technically should have switched wines based on our food. :) The restaurant is a wine cellar, and they age their steaks for 28 days, so it's no wonder the food was so excellent. After dinner, we met up with friends for Leslie's going away party and went dancing at a bar near Union Square. The people watching and music were both top notch.

Saturday we got up early and got student rush tickets. Deciding on a show was hard because I insisted on seeing a show Chris hadn't seen, and he wanted to see a show I hadn't seen, but considering I live here and see a lot of theatre, there was not much overlap. I won the argument, and we rushed Memphis. We had a delicious brunch at The Boathouse, my favorite. Seeing the snow covered park was such a treat! Central Park is beautiful in every season, but the snow is especially lovely there. We then checked out Rockefeller Plaza, watched the skaters, and hung out until our matinee. We had box seats for Memphis which sounds totally posh, but really it was obstructed view. The show was still fantastic, with awesome choreography and talent. We met Sherrie for an early dinner at Shake Shack (a must for anyone visiting NY). We headed back to my neighborhood, visited with my cute little neighbors Jackson and Olivia, and then chilled at the apartment a bit. We were so tired, that getting dressed up for the ball was not appealing at all, but we sucked it up, and I'm so glad we did.


The Blue & White Benefit Ball at the University Club was probably the most elegant event I've ever attended. I was nervous about not knowing too many people but I met lots, and had an amazing time. The open bar and dessert table were both well-enjoyed, and the space itself is incredible. It is the oldest social club in Manhattan, and was founded in 1861 by a group of Yale alumni. The Alex Donner Orchestra provided the music, and it was THE BEST. I also had the best dance partner of my life (sorry Dad, Chris ' moves are even better than yours. Maybe he'd teach you sometime :) ). After lots of schmoozing, dancing, and enjoying the lovely benefit, we headed to a bar next door. The Peninsula hotel has a great rooftop bar with a view of 5th Avenue, so we sat outside under the heaters and talked about the classy evening, in slight disbelief about what a wonderful night we had had. We ventured down to Katie Sue's party after that, spent time with friends and then headed back to my apartment. Two 3 am nights out in a row are exhausting, but well-worth it.

This morning we got up and went to my favorite place in the city. Well, my favorite place in my neighborhood for sure: The Jackie Onassis Reservoir.  The view of the Upper West Side across the park is so picturesque, and it's one of those places that always leaves me in awe of how lucky I am to live there. We then had traditional NY Bagels at H&H, and Chris headed to LGA. What an incredible two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment