Monday, September 13, 2010

Today I looked like a hooker...for real.


It's been another whirlwind of auditioning here in Manhattan. Today was especially interesting because I went to a dance call for the national tour of "South Pacific." Having been told since the age of 10 when I began auditioning for regional theatre to NEVER wear a costume, I showed up for my dance audition in normal dance clothes. I wore a black leotard, black bloomer shorts, a pink tank, nude tights, and my character heels. I curled my hair and pinned it up on one side in true South Pacific fashion, to hint that I was the right type to play a nurse. Well, I arrived at the audition to find that at least 60 percent of the women auditioning were wearing either old-fashioned swimsuits (far more modest than what I was wearing), or old fashioned cover ups (a conservative version of what we call a "romper" in today's society), which were also way more covering than my skimpy outfit.  Though I knew I was correct in NOT dressing in one of those dated costumes, I looked like the idiot because I was in the minority.  Well, I really looked like an absolute hooker, and became somewhat self-concious. I still danced my heart out, and went on my merry way afterwards, but was slightly paranoid about my outfit from that point forward. Luckily I finished the audition in time to stop in my apartment and change. I wouldn't want the doorman at my nannying job to think I had a second job as a callgirl. To the left is a picture of me at my audition. Of course the girls in the background of the picture were NOT the girls dressed in their conservative South Pacific costumes, but take my word for it...I looked out of place.

Otherwise, I'm feeling rather well-adjusted to the city. It's not without it's ups and downs of course, but I'm starting to feel comfortable here. I love my new gym, New York Sports Club, and my apartment feels like home these days. My room is starting to be consistently messy, which good or bad, I've learned is a sign that I'm settling in. I'm so fortunate to have so many Carolina friends here that I know I can call at any time. I also met some new friends at Redeemer Presbyterian Church on Sunday night, and am really looking forward to getting to know them better! (Many of them are Southern!)

Carly and me at El Rio Grande.
I had a great dinner out celebrating Will's birthday on Friday night at The Red Head. The food was delicious, and the company was better! I love discovering new restaurants.

Saturday I was so happy to spend time with Carly while she was in town! We ate at El Rio Grande, per my employer's suggestion, and it was wonderful! It was so nice to spend time with a friend from home, especially considering I hadn't seen her in four months.

The kids I work for and I are really clicking these days. The 8-year-old is in a drama class, so I'm especially enjoying helping her with her preparation for rehearsals for "Schoolhouse Rock." I love teaching kids to sing and perform.

It's beginning to feel like fall here, which makes me so happy. I've worn long sleeves the past three days, and I cannot even believe how chilly it's been! I can't wait for the leaves to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment